20070529

Embrace GIMP

I recently found myself tinkering with graphics for various projects, and GIMP served me well as it has consistently for nearly 10 years, across numerous Windows and Linux versions.

Initial pass with GIMP's Crop Tool. Crop Tool options (left), cropping on the canvas (right). *

What surprises me is how many people remain unaware GIMP exists – and what a great tool it is. Of course, full-time graphics and photo professionals typically sidestep GIMP for Illustrator and Photoshop, just as I use Visual Studio instead of SharpDevelop for my .NET development; but for me, others whose work calls for occasional graphics hacking, and many hobbyists' needs, GIMP is a wonderful, free tool.

If you've never heard of it or used it, embrace GIMP!


3 comments:

  1. "GIMP" - except for the name I am thoroughly impressed. I've typically been a Photoshop user but so far GIMP does everything I have needed it to. Good call, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call, Joe. This is a great substitute for Adobe Photoshop. The price is right, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slashdot recently published a book review of GIMP 2 for Photographers. The review and the book itself are good resources for anyone interested in the GIMP.

    ReplyDelete

RollerCoin Miners By The Numbers

Meet  RollerCoin Miners By The Numbers , a spreadsheet that breaks down what currently available  RollerCoin  miners cost and offer. I built...